Can you believe we are saying goodbye to summer? It has been a wonderful summer this year, intense at times but glorious none the less. September is an important month in the gardening calendar, here are our top tips on what to be doing in your garden this month;
- Lift and divide large clumps of herbaceous perennials now
- Harvest autumn fruiting raspberries
- Sow the seeds collected from perennials and hardy annuals
- Continue to ensure plants are watered when necessary
- Plant spring flowering bulbs now for a spring colour
- Protect crops from birds and other pests with netting
- Clean out cold frames and greenhouse ready to use in the autumn
- Dig up any remaining potatoes
- Shrubs and trees and safely be moved now
- Prune late summer flowering shrubs
- Treat your lawn with an Autumn feed
- Reduce watering of houseplants now
- Sow sweet pea seeds for flowers next year
- Brighten up your summer baskets and pots with autumn/ winter bedding
- Continue to dead head, this will keep your plants flowering for longer
Autumn is fast approaching and it is time for general maintenance tasks to be carried out in the garden. Prune out any dead, diseased or damaged shoots on your trees and shrubs.
Give your lawn a pick me up with an autumn lawn tonic. There are some fantastic Autumn lawn treatments available at the moment. Good all rounder’s, which treat for weeds, moss and feed with essential nutrients to keep your lawns healthy over the Autumn and Winter period.
Apply a top dressing to your lawn this month. Not only will this put back essential nutrients it can improve every part of your lawns health, from filling in holes and patches, improving drainage, reducing thatch build up and it can even improve the fertility of your lawn.
New This Month
This month sees the arrival of spring flowering bulbs in garden centres. Tulip ‘Danceline’ is a beautiful new edition to the much loved Tulip family. It has double flowers, which are flecked with red and creates a delicate, romantic look. It will reach 45cm in height and will give you lots of enjoyment throughout April. Look out for this new variety in your local garden centre today!
New Also this Month……
Narcissus ‘Kimmeridge’ is a stunning new variety of Daffodil. Flowering from Mrch through to April, this full size Daffodil bears a striking yellow trumpet, edged with deep orange, set amongst pure white petals. If you are a lover of Narcissi, then you will love this new variety. Look out for this new variety in your local garden centre today!
Summer may be drawing to an end, but we still have one of the best seasons to look forward to and that is autumn. Spruce up your hanging baskets and planters, as summer bedding plants come to an end. Plant some colourful winter annuals to brighten up any dark corners of the garden. You will have colour from now, through to late winter.
Make the most of the warm, sunny days as summer draws to a close, and enjoy your garden this month.
Autumn is on its way!
We have everything you need at Hollybeck to keep your garden looking green and healthy this month!
Lawn greening products now in stock!
We have all been suffering from the recent hot spell especially our lawns, so give them a little pick me up now.
New water conserving products arriving soon! Perfect for holiday watering. Not to be missed.
20% off all seeds!
Plus many more fantastic products and offers in store!
Hollybeck is open 7 days a week
Find us halfway between Oxton and Southwell NG25 0RW Tel 0115 9655450 Email email@example.com Visit www.hollybeck.co.uk